I moved jobs in January, becoming, for the first time in a 20 year professional career the main man, rather than assistant to someone. So -early- reflections on Senior Management for anyone about to enter this sphere.
1. Forget getting any work done during normal working hours, buy yourself a hose and yellow hard hat and prepare to fire fight.
2. Tragic as it sounds getting up at 6.30 on a Saturday and spending 2 hours planning what you need to do / say on Monday is worth its weight in gold.
3. Ahead of team meetings – when inevitably you will be looked to as the font of all knowledge – select a very low priority e-mail from each team member and do some wider research. “You circulated a report about XYZ Limited Laura, I seem to remember that they were in the press a couple of years ago when they won a global entrepreneurship award…etc.” Instant genius status awaits and everyone will -wrongly- assume you’re all over the important stuff.
4. Go to bed early when you can
5. ALWAYS, ALWAYS act positive – Moan to your partner (about work that is)
6. Give up coffee – Clearly physically impossible in the long term but you’ll feel better about yourself for a day or two.
7. Don’t lose sight of who you must impress – and vice versa
8. Don’t forget to delegate – and don’t expect much when you do.. people have to learn
9. Appraisals / Probation forms are God’s -administrative- way of punishing you for your past sins. Embrace and repent
10. Thank God for red wine